A fantastic week on road and beach!!
It’s been a fantastic week for the club with both senior and junior out enjoying competing.
First, Joe Green writes about the Northern road Relays-
The North Of England Young Athletes Road Relay Championships took place last Saturday at Sports City Manchester and our young athletes performed particularly well, despite winning no medals.
The U13 boys were first to run and Will Sutcliffe came home in 5th place (11.55) handing over to Alex Poulston (12.01) who took the lead. Will Strickley (12.37) just lost out to the Sale runner in the final few metres to bring the team home in 4th place. Louis Johnston (11.07), Dan Hayes (11.45) and Finan Johnston (11.30) all ran strongly in a really competitive race to finish in 7th place in the U15 boys.
The U17 men came from behind on the final leg to secure 6th place, with Tom Spence’s time of 11.17 being the 6th fastest of the day. Running the third leg he gained ten places and was closing in on two more when he ran out of time.
The U13 girls found the opposition particularly tough and despite an excellent start by Zara White on first leg, they lost ground to finish 26th. The U15 girls fared much better. Ellen Mary Kearney (12.12) had an excellent run with the fourth fastest time of the day and handed over in second place to Isobel Hodder (13.06) and Lucy Hignett (12.57) maintained our position near the front and held off the challenge from Macclesfield to secure 5th place.
The final race of the young athletes’ competition was for the U17 ladies and another strong performance saw Wirral finish just out of the medals. The team of Catherine Gallagher, Katie Thompson and Juliet Hodder, held fifth place throughout the race, with the B team of Phoebe Croft, Ellie Dobson and Erin Davies holding on to 13th place.
In the senior competition, Sarah Kearney had a great run to finish 25th out of 83 runners. The team finished in a credible 30th out of 66 teams. David Brockway led the senior men’s team back in 53rd out of 127 teams on the first leg. The team, which was lacking a number of key athletes, finished in 73rd place out of 103 teams.
Overall Wirral produced one of the best set of results of all the clubs present. The B and C teams all performed very well and the tremendous team spirit amongst the athletes and parents was most encouraging.
- A big crowd of seniors competed in race three of the Wirral Multiterrain Series last Tuesday. Sarah Kearney won the ladies’s race and the ladies team won. Phil Langan won the men’s race and the men’s team finished in 5th place. Well done everyone, great to see so many out. See you next Tuesday for the final race. Wirral ladies have a commanding lead so lets hope we all keep healthy for next Tuesday!! In the junior races Louis Johnston won and Alex Poulston took 2nd place.
- The Sutton 6 took place at Guilden Sutton last Sunday and a number of Wirral AC athletes . It is an undulating 10K course through country roads and the A51. Not a PB course but a pleasant route despite the A51. Its a small, friendly, local event that’s well worth doing. Five Wirral runners took part: 2nd William Woodcock , 25th Kelvin Dickinson 117th Caroline Hall, 161st Maria Brockway, 165th Antony Brockway. Well done everyone!!
- The Burton 10k and 5k races became a excellent day for Wirral A.C with Sarah Kearney winning the ladies 10k and Ellen Mary coming 2nd. In the 5k Finan Johnson was 2nd male back, Oberon Kearney won the u14 boys race with Ben Grantham 2nd place. In the Girls 5k Anna Fraser was 1st female back overall and won the Girls u14 race. WELL DONE EVERYONE WHO TOOK PART. 👏
- At the Masters Northern Counties Championships at Bury on Sunday 17th September Joe Fallon won Gold medal in Men’s 75 age group Javelin. Well done Joe, what a great role model for his athletes.
- Oberon Kearney won the yr 5 boys race and Ben Grantham was second in the year 6 boys race at the first of the Wirral Primary Schools Cross country Races.
- Tickets are on sale now through Webcollect for the Club Christmas Party on Saturday 2nd December. Log on with your username and password and purchase using your direct debit. Easy peesy!!
- Don’t forget the Wirral AC Awards evening- next Friday 29th September and the…
- Wirral AC School’s Cross Country Races next Saturday 30th Sept, first race 10.30am. Marshalls, helpers and runners required!
- The first Borders Road Race League is this Sunday 1st October at Capenhurst, 11am start.