A great day out in Blackpool for team Wirral AC
Last Saturday Wirral AC competed in the North West Relays in Blackpool. My daughter Ella shares her experiences of the day-
Last Saturday I went to the North West Road Relays and now my evil mother wants me to write a review on it so here I go.
The journey there seemed to take forever but it would have been shorter if Ronan hadn’t left his bag behind so we had to go back and get it. I was not overly pleased when Sarah rang us up as you can tell.
When I got there Sarah gave me a Wirral makeover and a delightful green ribbon that unfortunately (or fortunately depending on which way you look at ribbons) wouldn’t go in my hair but made a good bracelet instead. Now I am supposed to say how I felt before the race. Well, I only have one word: cold, completely and utterly freezing. I don’t remember much about the race except when we got to the pond they sent us across the front of it so I thought we weren’t going round. Then they sent us round!!! As you can guess, I wasn’t too pleased.
After the race I went and stood next to Emma and watched some of the other races. Then I began to feel peckish so I went to see what was for lunch. But alas, however scrummy the burger was I still needed some courgette cake.
The evening in Blackpool was pretty eventful with writing on the sand, getting our feet wet jumping around puddles on the beach, a fish and chip tea and a tram ride. The perfect way to end a day in Blackpool!
Thank you Ella!
Here’s a summary of how our runners did.
- U11 girls A21/30 teams.
- U11 boys- Ben Grantham, Ben Cronshaw and Oberon Kearney- 2nd overall and Merseyside Gold medals. Ben Grantham was 2nd fastest leg of the day.
- U13 girls- A team 19th/38 teams, B team 27th. Great to have two teams out.
- U13 boys-7th overall and Merseyside gold medals. Will Sutcliffe 3rd on 1st leg and 6th fastest leg overall.
- U15 girls- A team 5th, Merseyside silver medals. B team 18th, C team 21st. Fantastic performances and great to have so many girls! Ellen-Mary Kearney 5th fastest leg.
- U15 boys-15th team, Merseyside bronze medals.
- U17 girls-A team 3rd overall, Merseyside silver medals. Juliet Hodder 1st back and 4th fastest leg overall. Katie Thompson, Catherine Gallagher 7th and 8th B team 11th, great to get two teams out.
- U17 boys-5th overall and Merseyside silver medals.
- Seniors ladies…..best not to mention it really. Several runners took a wrong turn including our Sarah Kearney who put in an extra bit (still the fastest of all of us!). 17/52 teams
- Senior men- A team 38/74 teams, B team 53rd.
So, some great performances there. But what was just great for me was that we got lots of us out enjoying the day, enjoying friendly competition. Onwards and upwards!
- This weekend our athletes will be competing in the Northern Relays at Sports City, Mamchester. Good luck!
- David Brockway won the second multiterrain league at Thurstaston. Sarah Kearney was 2nd lady.
- Nick Lindesay would really like some helpers for the Schools Cross country on Saturday 30th September. He needs 4 people to help lay out the course and 8 marshalls. anyone who can help should contact Nick on 0151 625 1124.
- The club awards evening is on Friday, 29th Sept 7pm, Higher Bebington Legion.
- Tickets are now on sale for the Christmas Party on Saturday 2nd December at the Lauries Centre, Birkenhead. They are available on-line via webcollect. https://webcollect.org.uk/wirralac